Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Buff silkies are hatching!

My first buff silkies have hatched! I am quite pleased so far. I have high hopes that these babies will feather out nicely.
They are coming out in two distinct "looks". One is fairly light and the other fairly dark. Clearly I won't know anything until we get grownup feathers, but they are both really pretty.

The really tiny, slightly damp baby hatched this morning. Mama broody wasn't sure what to do with her, so I hauled her inside to the brooder. Other than a propensity to topple over on her back and lay there squeaking, she is doing great.



This one already has quite the crown and beard. She should be really fluffy when she grows up.


3 comments:

Jen said...

Awwww... they are so cute! Congratulations. I want some silkies one day.

The Chicken Keepers said...

They are sooo cute! We really want some silkies. Check out our blog at thechickenkeepers.blogspot.com

Nancy M. said...

They are so precious! They look so smart with their poofy heads!