Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Blue and black babies!


Fifi's babies have hatched!

It was actually a pretty dismal hatch- only 2 of the 8 eggs hatched. It's my first attempt at hatching mailed eggs. Shorty is sitting on some more though and I'm trying my hand at incubating in the house (my own little summer science project!). We'll see what happens in about two and a half weeks.
The grey baby is a blue and the black/yellow baby is a black. They are true ameraucanas (a recognized pure breed) from the Garners in Georgia. They will be blue egg layers. Shorty is sitting on blue eggs from Cree Farms. They are quite lovely. More of the Cree Farms eggs are in the incubator, as well as some random eggs from my girls that I'm using to test failure rates of shipped versus local vs my hatching abilities. We'll see what happens.

5 comments:

myrawilli said...

Cute, cute, cute! Can't wait to meet these little ones!

Mom

Karen said...

Oh, I'm so jealous! You have true Ameraucanas now! Hopefully one is a girl so you can have those beautiful eggs. I'm getting some Ameraucana eggs next month - I can't resist those true blue eggs.

City Girl said...

I know. Fingers crossed that at least one of these is a girl and that some of the future hatchees will be female. I love the blue eggs too! My goal/project is actually to work on egg color. I want them to be more saturated. They are so pretty!

Nancy M. said...

Very pretty babies! I have the ameraucana mix we call them Easter eggers. It would be awesome to have some pure breed ones.

City Girl said...

Yeah, I have EEs as well. That's one of the reasons I took the plunge and got true ameraucanas from a breeder. Love those poochy cheeks!